Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Memoirs of a Medical Intern

During the four and a half years of my MBBS course that I studied through,I used to think of Internship as the best time of my MBBS journey,for it is the year where we practically do all that we have been reading about and the best part-Its the year of no exams,not a single exam.That's enough to get my spirits high.But since the day internship has started its not always been fun!Firstly,we slog like anything and secondly we are accountable for everyday,no bunks allowed!Which really reminds me of college days and I miss those bunks and blacklists!
Currently I am rotating in the Gynaecology Department in a Municipal Hospital.Personally,I never liked Gynaecology since the very first day and hence this rotation is more tough on me.Most of the patients are pregnant and in labour and ready to deliver.And by now you must have guessed that I am talking about yelling women,in a hell lot of agony!
It was one such normal day in the ward,that night,I was on a 32hour call (which really means 32hours of non stop work and if lucky 2hours of sleep is included!) It was a very hectic night that day,we were just getting emergencies all through the night.It was absolute chaos- Two ladies were delivering at one side,another two were being prepared and rushed for Caesarean Sections and another three ladies were waiting to get admitted.Amidst all this madness,I was trying to collect blood from a patient but she had bangles going right up to her elbow and to top it all,they would just not come out!That's when a woman nearby came and start breaking those glass bangles,I thanked her and she said "Madam,why are you saying Thank you,this is nothing in comparison to what you all do for us.You all are God for us when we have lost all hope,anything that we can do will always be less!Thank you for everything,for serving us!"
I was just blank for the next 5mins,I had not at all expected that.I mean these patients are really poor and illiterate too,and something so humble coming from that woman really took me aback!
My father used to always tell me that "You are in a noble profession,what you do is very different from other careers."I never got that point of his in four and a half years,I just went about doing my job considering it like any other degree or course.And that night also I was just doing my job,that lady's words just made me remember my father and it felt so good that amongst 70-80 patients that we see everyday,one person bothered to appreciate whatever little we had done!
We delivered about 15 babies that night and that lady was one of the many who delivered that night.When we were conducting those deliveries we were just doing our job,I had no clue it meant so much to even one of them.
Well Doctors are no God for sure,we just do our best and at times our erratic work schedules take a toll on us and we just don't feel like delivering our best always;at the cost of our health and personal lives,but I can say today that its worth it all.That lady unknowingly taught me a lot.Her words will always stay with me as my first tryst at being a real doctor in a patient's eyes!

No comments:

Post a Comment